Creamy Corn Chowder

November 3, 2009   
I hope everyone had a wonderful Halloweeeen! I am so so sooo excited for Thanksgiving. I am not quite ready to Christmas the thought of it makes me scrunch my nose up.

Last week I made a DELICIOUS soup from scratch and it was super easy!
Creamy Corn Chowder. I used vegetable broth in this soup which didn't make it too heavy, but I think it lacked alot of salt, so next time I think I am going to use chicken broth. But I will say that I kept adding seasonings until I liked the flavor, so you be the judge and see what works for you! :)
ALSO... you could add celery or red peppers - I think those would pair well with the flavors or even add small bite sized pieces of ham, bacon or pancetta if you are missing the meat!

Laura's Corn Cowder

Ingredients:
1TBS Olive Oil
2 TBS butter or margerine
2 cans of corn
2 cloves of garlic (minced)
1 medium sized onion (diced)
2 medium sized potatoes (diced)
1 pint of light cream
1 carton of Vegetable or chicken broth
6 spring of fresh thyme
2 TBS Flour
Seasonings:

Salt
Pepper
Onion Powder
Garlic Powder
Seasoned Salt
Lemon & Pepper seasoning
Crushed Red Pepper


 Directions:
In a deep pot, such as a dutch oven add olive oil and butter. Throw in minced garlic and onion and the leaves from the thyme sprigs. Cook for a few minutes until onions start to become clear or less white. (I season this a little bit with all of the spices I use)

 Add the flour to create a roux.
Next add the vegetable stock and bring to a boil
Add Potatoes and cream and bring to a hard boil

(you essentially want the potatoes to cook down to thicken the soup. I used a whisk and mashed them up a bit once they cooked down)

Next add the corn and season to your taste. I liberally seasoned it to taste with all the seasonings listed with just a pinch of crushed red pepper. Use your judgment and don't be afraid to taste as you go!
(I let this simmer for a few hours before I ate it, you could serve it probably within 30 - 45 minutes)

Serve hot with fresh thyme for garnish!





I hope you enjoy it! I have left overs and I'm going to cook some up at this very moment. I love comfort foods especially warm soups!

xoxo Laura

0 comments:

Post a Comment