Pan Seared Brussels Sprouts

January 18, 2010   
So I am going to try and blog everyday this week! That is my goal. Let's hope I stick to it.

I know what most of you are thinking right now, Brussels Sprouts??? ICK! I know, I know. These petite greens certainly have a bad rap going on around here, but I happen to love them. If you learn new ways to cook vegetables, sometimes they take on a new flavor that you would have never imagined. So please give Brussels sprouts a chance! I promise you will like them. Even Matthew was a hater and I have now converted him to like them.

If you like cabbage, then you will definitely like Brussels sprouts because they in fact are just mini cabbages. If you don't, well then as I said, maybe you need to try them prepared in a different way.

LALA's Pan Seared Brussels Sprouts
24 Brussels Sprouts (Try buying ones that are all similar and small in shape, or you could buy a bag of frozen ones)
1 - 2 TBS Olive oil or butter. OR a little of BOTH
Salt
Pepper
Crushed red pepper
Garlic powder
Parmesan cheese
a pinch of chili powder

(Matt also likes adding some lemon juice and a little bit of creamy ceasar dressing, so these are optional, but I personally prefer to leave them out)

If you bought fresh brussels, wash and carefully trim the bottoms to remove the part that tastes woody. Be careful not to cut this off, because this hold the sprout together. I'd say cut about a centimeter off the bottom.
If you would like, cut the brussels sprouts in half length wise. I like to leave them whole personally.

Combine all ingredients in a skillet. Add about a teaspoon or so of each spice, use your inner culinary judgement. Pan sear for about 10 minutes on medium heat or until you get a hint of browning. Immediately serve and add some extra Parmesan.
**You could also roast these just as easily. Preheat oven to 400 degrees and cook for a bout 10 minutes or again until you see a hint of browning.**

I Promise you that even if you still don't love them this way, I just know that you wont think they are as bad as you thought. But trust me, they soak up a lot of delicious flavor this way. No more boiled or steamed BLAND sprouts ever again!

<3 Laura

0 comments:

Post a Comment