Better late then never, corned beef brisket!

March 19, 2010   
I know it's LATE but I have a recipe for Corned Beef Brisket & Cabbage. You cook it in a crock pot and anyone can make this, it's soo easy to do. You could also do sort of a pot roast too, if you can't find or don't like brisket.

Laura's Beef Brisket in a Crockpot.


3 carrots or 1/2 a bag of baby carrots
3 - 4lb beef brisket
3 garlic cloves (whole)
1 packet of pickling seasonings (usually comes with the brisket, I don't know what is exactly in it but I am assuming peppercorns, bay leaves, salt, etc.)
2 - 3 onions roughly chopped
1 large carton of beef broth
2 large potatoes, roughly chopped
2 - 3 cups of water
1 small cabbage (cut into wedges)
2 tbs of mustard
1/2 cup of brown sugar
(optional - pour half a beer instead of water into the pot)


Before putting the brisket into the crockpot, rub mustard and brown sugar all over.
Now place everything in the crockpot, except the cabbage.
I keep the setting on high, so everything gets boiled and cooks quickly.
after about 3 hours, add cabbage. If you add it any earlier, it will cook too fast and get mushy.
Cook for an additional hour.
Remove brisket and slice, it should be very tender.
serve with onions, potatoes, and cabbage.
ENJOY!

My boyfriend had never had this dish before and he always said he hated cabbage because of the smell. But when we had this dish he was blindsided by how good it was and even enjoyed the cabbage a lot!
Honestly growing up I hated it too, but I think it has a nice sweet flavor that enhances the flavors of the meat. Give it a shot, I know you will like it!

~Laura

(click image for source)

0 comments:

Post a Comment