ZUPPA!!

April 16, 2010   
I made my own version of a delicious Italian soup. I'm pretty sure they serve this at the Olive Garden, but I've never had it there.
I said it was going to be my last soup of the season, but I definitely lied! Making soup is pretty darn easy and I think it's fun :)
The flavors in this soup are so yummy, I think they compliment each other nicely.
ZUPPA!!!

4-5 hot Italian sausages or crumbled sausage (if you get the ones in the casing just cut them open and crumble the meat yourself.
4 pieces of bacon, cut into small pieces
2 medium onions, chopped
2 medium potatoes, diced into cubes
1 bunch of spinach or kale, roughly chopped
1 cup of cream or half and half
1 carton of chicken stock
H20 - use the chicken stock carton to fill with water
crushed red pepper - for some heat! Leave it out if you don't like spice
salt and pepper to taste


In a large stock pot or dutch oven, toss in bacon and crumbled sausage and let it brown for about 10 minutes, drain the drippings if you don't want it in your soup. I added it to mine for flavor though.


Once the bacon is crispy, add the chopped onions and potatoes. Season with salt, pepper and crushed red pepper flakes


Add chopped spinach. Let this cook together for about 5 minutes


Pour in the chicken stock, and fill it up with water and add that to the soup.


Bring it up to a boil and make sure the potatoes are fork tender, then turn the heat to medium-low


Finish off with the cup of cream and let it heat up for a few minutes


Serve with Parmesan cheese and salt and pepper to taste!

I know I say this almost every time, but this is so easy to make. It's really quick and a nice meal to make after a days work.

It's pretty gloomy today and and for the rest of the weekend, so it's nice to curl up in a good chair with this soup and a blanket!

~Laura

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This looks super yummy ^_^

Laura said...

it's very good! you should make it! :)

Post a Comment