Everyone to the table to eat!

November 13, 2010   
Last night while channel surfing I came across a show called Lidia's Italy... or something like that. After watching this.. I had a serious case of midnight munchies... but not for chips or chocolate.. it was for PASTA! Just what I need to add to my body that late.. carbs. But I didn't give in and just kept watching, allowing myself to salivate over the wonderful food that was presented on the screen.

Usually for holidays I always get a cookbook .. or 3.
One year I was given this woman's cookbook (Lidia) but I honestly have so many cookbooks, it's hard to get through all of them, even though I love them and go through each page like a regular novel.  AND to be honest again, sometimes I forget what's in them... I'm only human!! ;0) 
So what I'm trying to get here REALLY is that.. I've never actually absorbed this woman's recipes... until last night.

I thought I'd share one of the recipes here because it looked so good, it's vegetarian friendly.. and sooo EASY to make! Mind you, she made fresh pasta.. but there is nothing wrong with buying the boxed kind in my book.

So here is the lovely Italian woman Lidia:


And here is the recipe:


FETTUCCINE WITH WALNUT PESTO

Yield: 6 servings
2 cups walnut halves or pieces, toasted
2 cloves garlic
1 1/2 cups ricotta, preferably fresh, drained
1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons freshly grated grana padano or Parmesan,
plus more for passing at the table
3 tablespoons chopped fresh Italian parsley
1 teaspoon coarse salt
Freshly ground pepper
1 pound fettuccine
3 tablespoons butter, softened


Procedure:1. Bring large pot of well-salted water to boil. Meanwhile, put walnuts and garlic into food processor, or magic bullet, or even a blender... pulse until nuts are chopped into tiny bits (don’t grind them to a powder). Scrape mixture into large bowl; stir in ricotta, oil, grated cheese, parsley, salt and pepper to taste until blended.
2. Cook pasta in boiling water until al dente, about 12 minutes; drain, reserving some of the cooking water. Drop pasta into bowl with pesto; dot pasta with dollops of butter. Toss until pasta is coated with pesto; if it is too thick, loosen it with a bit of the reserved pasta water as you toss.
3. Serve in warm bowls, passing more grated cheese.

The pesto is from the region of Emilia-Romagna, home to the city of Bologna.
Though Lidia calls for freshly made tagliatelle with this sauce, you can use dried fettuccine or anything you really like.
 
Enjoy, I know I will!
xo Laura



2 comments:

Paula said...

what a great blog!
here is so many inspirations,

have a nice time,
Paula

Laura said...

thank you.. yours too! very creative :)

Post a Comment