GUACAMOLE!!!

October 13, 2009   
One food that I PERSONALLY consider to be comfort food is GUACAMOLE!! Especially my own recipe! To be honest, I do love guacamole in many forms, but some of them are just SO BLAND. With my recipe, you get a little bite to go along with the bang of flavors. I know it may be out of season, but I could eat guacamole all year round and not feel and ounce bad about it! Plus it's very good for you!

Now, I usually make a small batch of it, because usually it's just Matthew and I eating it. For parties I would definitely triple the recipe because you can't just have ONE bite of this.

Laura's Kicked up Guacamole!

2 avocados (don't use the organic ones, they maintain their firmness and you would be able to mash it up!)
1/2 red onion (finely chopped)
1 tomato (diced)
1/2 jalapeno (finely chopped) - you could also take out the seeds for less heat
Juice from 1/2 lime
1/2 tsp fresh chopped garlic.
1 TBS freshly ground pepper
1 TBS salt
1 TBS garlic powder
1 TBS onion powder
(Optional - adding fresh cilantro) I don't only because I DISLIKE Cilantro very much.
**If you dont know want to use jalapeno, use crushed red pepper. Add about a TBS and it will give you a nice bite!

FIRST, start by slicing your Avocado in half. (There will be a huge seed in the middle so cut around it and twist the two parts open:


Next slice the avocado like this: ( I don't know how to explain it so I will show you)


Next SCOOP out the flesh with a spoon and spoon it into a large mixing bowl. Repeat with the rest of the avocados. NOW squeeze half of a lime all over the avocados (this will help prevent it from oxidizing or turning brown.)


I now use a plain old wire whisk and I mash up the avocado like a mad woman! I have found that using a whisk works perfectly fine for me. If you have another tool that will work good for you, by all means USE IT!

Next chop up the red onion, tomato, and jalapeno (and chop the garlic if you are using whole cloves)

Toss them in the bowl and mix together.
Next add the Pepper, Salt, Garlic Powder, and Onion Powder. (You can add more or less depending on how you like the taste) To be honest, I usually don't measure the seasonings I just keep adding until I think it tastes good :)

NOW YOU ARE DONE! Serve immediately or let sit in the fridge for 24 hours, doing this will help the flavors meld together. I usually do this because I personally like the taste better, because the avocado can have a very earthy taste.



Here is a little secret: I just made this late last night and it's already gone!! Matt helped me with it though, so I did NOT eat the whole thing by myself!
I hope everyone is bringing out the sweaters because it's getting C-O-L-D.
The snow however, CAN WAIT! Until atleast January.
xOxO Laura.

(photos are from google image search)

0 comments:

Post a Comment